Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Our First Sick Doctors Visit

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Two weeks ago Braxton was sick with his first ever horrible cold (cough, runny nose, sad cries). He never really got a fever from it and was pretty much better about a week later. I wasn't expecting him to get so sick again so quickly. He was supposed to be getting better! On Saturday night he had a little bit of a runny nose and by Sunday night he was choking on food he could normally eat just fine (almost like his throat was swollen) a little bit of a cough and runny nose and was not his absolutely happy self. On Monday night when I picked Braxton up from Grandma Hollie she said the had pulled at his left ear a couple of times through the day. When I got him home I noticed that his cough had become very wet, he was wheezy, had a yucky nose and a little bit of a temperature (around 99 degrees). By Tuesday night when I picked him up from Grandma Donna's he sounded so much worse. The poor kid had a horrible wet, deep cough - the one that hurts your chest. He was still a little warm and had the saddest sick eyes I have ever seen! I wanted to take him into the doctor so bad but I didn't want to come off as a "paranoid mom" and it was almost 7:30pm. I kept telling myself "He'll be fine. Give him until the morning and if he's not better take him in then. It's just a bad cold." I got a cold with Braxton the first time 2 weeks ago and was still suffering from it at this time so I figured we just happened to have the same thing and it unfortunately was a never ending cold! Then another part of me kept thinking about RSV and how scary it is. I wasn't sure if it was the right season for it but that didn't keep me from worrying. As I was fighting with myself about whether to take him in or not my sweet dad said "I really think you should take him in tonight. You'll sleep a lot better if you do." I was so glad that he said that. It made me feel like not such a paranoid mom and helped me to realize that it would be okay to take him in. Luckily our Doctors office has a night clinic and they were able to squeeze him in "if I wanted him to be seen that night." One of the Doctors in her group were working or I could wait until the next day at around noon and he could see his doctor. I of course wanted him to be seen that night!

Well, a long story short - he had a really bad viral infection and RSV was not in season. The doctor did say though to watch him and if his cough got worse or his temperature got higher to bring him back in. Luckily neither of those happened! He also had his first two ear infections! He said that both ears looked red :( We got a prescription for some amoxicillian for him to take which he happened to LOVE! That made it really easy for us when it came time for him to have it.


Now two weeks later he is pretty much all better! Which I am so thankful for~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

its funny how our little boys like to copy each other! I know exactly what you went through cause that is exactly what happened with tristan. Double ear infections are no fun. Im glad he is feeling better!