Friday, May 21, 2010

What a night!!

Deciding it was time to put Braxon in his room was one of the best decision Nate and I have ever made! Braxton has been in his room now for just over 2 1/2 weeks and we all have been sleeping so much better because of it! Yes, even Chloee! He is a noisy little sleeper and always moving around. When he was in our room I would wake up to just about every sound he made. Our monitors are so nice because they only pick up his real crying so we don't hear the noises anymore!

I look forward to putting Braxton in bed every night and not for the reasons you might think. I love the bonding time we get at bed time! I've tried to start a bed time routine in order to help him understand that when we start doing those bedtime things that it's time for bed! I don't know how much he understands now but hopefully some day it'll pay off. I try to start getting him ready for bed between 8 and 8:30 so he is in bed by 8:30 or 9. We start off by putting P.J.'s on and then feeding him a bottle. Once he's done eatting we read a story, say prayers and then sing our good night song two times and humming it a third time. Then it's off to bed with his awesome musical picture projector! We do everything from the P.J.'s to the song in his room with only the lamp on so we don't have the bright bedroom light on keeping him up! He usually falls asleep really well and sleeps really well unitl about 2 or 3am when he gets up to eat and be changed. Then after that, the rest of the night doesn't go so well! He usually gets up a couple of times for his passifier before waking up at about 6:00.

Not last night though!!! He slept through the whole night for the first time! He went to bed at 9pm and didn't get up until 6am. I woke up at about 10 minutes to 6 and after looking at the clock and realizing what time it was I had to think for a minute about whether I got up with Braxton or not and after finally realizing I hadn't I asked Nate if he got up with him. After he told me no we both got a little worried. I had to check a couple of times to make sure that our monitor was on. Realizing it really was on we both quietly peeked into his room to find him sound asleep. We aparently weren't quiet enough because no more than 5 minutes later he was up and ready to eat!!! And he has made up for his one missed meal last night all day today!

We're so proud of you Braxton and thank you so much for the good nights sleep! Despite how nice it was we aren't planning on that being a new thing at our house. But hey, we'll take what we can get.

2 comments:

Meredith said...

Once they do it once, they should be able to continue sleeping through the night. If you can help it, stop going in and giving him his binki. I love the bed time routine you have. It really does make a difference on how well they sleep. I love reading your blog because it makes me grateful I am past that stage. But you enjoy it all you can!!! You are such cute parents!!!

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome! Maybe we should put Tristan in his room. He is such a grunter I hardly get any sleep! Thanks for the idea. I hope he keeps doing it for you!!!!